Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Separation of Powers

People have everything down to a science. It's unfortunate. If you were to write a story, I could break out a predefined rubric and tell how you how good it is based on description, literary elements, prose and conventions. But does that really make it a good story? Can a standard be set for judging that? There are so many new and original styles of writing, what would happen if we had that same rubric set around music? Where would rock n roll be? To me, even content (within reason) is irrelevant. The only thing that matters if reader reaction; how a story makes us feel, if it is memorable, what it teaches you. I guess this is just a vent against this lame regents we have to take soon. Maybe I just like to argue >.<

3 comments:

lastnightsphrases said...

for the regents though, you really just have to punctuate correctly and do all the little bullets of shit they tell you to include. you can pretty much write however you want, which is surprising cos my attitude towards it last year was "ehh fuck it" and i just wrote how i normally write, which is generally pretty sardonic and full of anger, and i ended up getting like 6's on all of the essays. SO i guess my point is the essay graders are shockingly lenient, but this is all based off of solely my experience last year. blahblahblah!

BananasGorilla said...

That is comforting, although I'm not really nervous, more just dreading. But I will try to throw in all those standard "such themes are seen in the two novels i read, the Outsiders and Catcher in the Rye" statements etc... lol. It sounds like they grade just like Harris, in which case no one needs to worry. Thanks =)

AmberDawn said...

Ha brilliant. I agree, reaction has a lot to do with a story, film, music, art etc. I don't know about you but it helps me to become more motivated. If I know someone is going to read my story I'm more likely to write in a way that I will reach out and touch that person.
ps regents' suck. =p