Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Deaths of Interest

I... have been gifted with a curse. Like anybody I've met many interesting people in my life, but unlike everyone I know when those people will die. A few days before it happens I get an epiphany; a vision. Even if I haven't met this person more then once, many years ago, and even if I never knew their name, I have known or will someday know the time of their death.
Naturally at first I thought I was crazy. Perhaps this was a sign of schizophrenia. I had all intentions of going to a doctor but before I could I began to remember. I knew these people, and I became fascinated.
And so I tried to reach them, find these people so I could tell them just what was going to happen, and when. Unfortunately most of the time all I have is a face and a story. Then I tried to use this power for memorium, as a way to remember the conversations I enjoyed and learned from, but lately all I am is afraid.
I am afraid for the old oil tycoon who spent his affluent retirement traveling the globe.
I am afraid for the young boy I saw drawing himself as a spaceman on the moon beside two smiling parents.
I am afraid for those two longtime friends who saw their children head off to India to spend their lives together, a couple in marriage.
I am afraid for the man who brought life into a small bubble with a single strand of hair and I'm afraid for all the great artists who have inspired me. But everything is alright, because of one thought; that someone out there is afraid for me because they too will know the day I die.

No comments: